Frequently Asked Questions

Back to top

When can my child ride in the front seat?

Safety advocates recommend that children under age 13 should remain in the back seat, away from the injury risk of a passenger-side airbag. For more information on the stages of safely restraining your children, visit our Four Steps for Kids on our Child Passenger Safety Traffic Information Center.

Back to top

I received a traffic citation in another state and the court is requiring me to complete a driver improvement course as a result of my conviction, where can I go to take one of these courses?

Assuming that you received the traffic citation in another state and the court is requiring you to complete a driver improvement course as a result of your conviction, check with your local AAA office or with a private driving training school (you can find listings for these schools in the yellow pages) many of which offer such courses. If you received the citation in Pennsylvania, check with the court that ordered you to complete a driver improvement course in the county you received the citation. They should have a listing of driver improvement course locations where you can complete the required hours.

Back to top

Where can I find information on driver education?

The Pennsylvania Department of Education currently maintains a listing of schools with approved driver education programs as well as private driver training schools. The information is available by county here.

Back to top

Does PennDOT offer any winter driving classes?

PennDOT does not currently offer any classes related to driving in winter conditions. We encourage you to contact driver training schools in your area to see if they meet your needs. The information is available by county here.

View PennDOT's Winter Driving Guide (PDF)

Back to top

Where can I find information on Mature Driver Improvement Courses?

Four organizations offer PennDOT-approved Basic and Refresher Mature Driver Improvement courses at various locations throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In addition, under Pennsylvania law, drivers 55 and older are eligible to receive a 5 percent discount on their vehicle insurance by completing the Basic Mature Driver Improvement Course. In order to maintain the discount, individuals are required to take the Refresher Mature Driver Improvement Course every three years. Individuals should check with their insurance carrier for specifics of their program. More information on this course is available in our Older Driver section.

Back to top

If I get a traffic citation in another state, will I get points on my Pennsylvania driver's license?

If you receive a traffic citation for speeding or a similar violation in another state, you will not receive points on your Pennsylvania driver's license. If you fail to respond to that citation, it could impact your license in Pennsylvania. If you receive a DUI in another state, you could face penalties in Pennsylvania. For more information on Pennsylvania's Point System, check out the Pennsylvania Points System Fact Sheet.

Back to top

How do I change my address on my driver's license or vehicle registration?

You can change your address on your non-commercial driver's license or vehicle registration by visiting PennDOT´s Driver and Vehicle Services website. This process can be completed online by logging into the department´s online services system. Commercial drivers must complete a Form DL-80CD and non-commercial learner´s permit requests must be submitted through the Form DL-31; both forms must be mailed to the address provided and must be completed according to the form directions.

Back to top

Who do I contact for questions about my driver´s license or vehicle registration?

You can contact PennDOT´s Driver and Vehicle Services Customer Call Center by calling 1-800-932-4600 from within Pennsylvania or 717-412-5300 if you are an out-of-state caller. You can also find information at PennDOT´s Driver and Vehicle Services website.

Back to top

How do I report an aggressive or unsafe driver?

Pennsylvania does not have an aggressive driver reporting hotline like some of its neighboring states. If you encounter a driver who is exhibiting dangerous behaviors or who you suspect may be impaired, please dial 911 and the dispatcher will contact the local law enforcement agency.

Back to top

How do I report a driver who may have a medical condition limiting his or her ability to safely operate a vehicle?

You can report a driver who you feel may be medically unfit to drive by writing to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 68682, Harrisburg, PA 17106-8682. If you decide to report a driver to PennDOT, you must be able to provide specific details about the driver, i.e. full name, date of birth, home address or social security number. While your report will remain anonymous to the individual you are reporting, you must sign the report and provide your name and contact information to PennDOT in case there are follow-up questions.

Back to top

Does Pennsylvania have any laws relating to cell phones or texting while driving?

A state law, effective March 8, 2012, prohibits as a primary offense any driver from using an Interactive Wireless Communication Device (IWCD) to send, read or write a text-based communication while his or her vehicle is in motion.

The law also:
  • Defines an IWCD as a wireless phone, personal digital assistant, smart phone, portable or mobile computer or similar devices that can be used for texting, instant messaging, emailing or browsing the Internet.

  • Defines a text-based communication as a text message, instant message, email or other written communication composed or received on an IWCD.

  • Institutes a $50 fine for convictions under this section.

  • Makes clear that this law supersedes and preempts any local ordinances restricting the use of interactive wireless devices by drivers.

The penalty is a summary offense. The law does not authorize the seizure of an IWCD. The texting ban does NOT include the use of a GPS device, a system or device that is physically or electronically integrated into the vehicle, or a communications device that is affixed to a mass transit vehicle, bus or school bus.

Back to top

Who do I contact about the legality of certain driving behaviors?

If you have questions about specific driving behaviors and traffic enforcement, please contact your local police department or the Pennsylvania State Police.