Crossing Guard Train-the-trainer
There is no training planned at this time. The PowerPoint for the course is available below under "Training Materials."
Adult crossing guards provide a critical role in helping school-age children cross streets safely. Yet, many crossing guards are community, parent, or teacher volunteers who may receive little or no training on how to properly and safely fulfill their responsibilities.
Because of the important role that crossing guards play in child safety and ensuring safe travel to and from school, it is imperative that crossing guards be properly trained. Not only will such training help to protect student walkers and cyclists on their way to and from school, but a properly trained crossing guard may help to reduce safety or liability concerns. Properly trained crossing guards will ensure that motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians follow the rules of the road, thus ensuring student safety—a priority for both the school and parents.
This one-day train-the-trainer class focuses on teaching adults how to be effective, efficient, and safe crossing guards. Participants will learn adult training techniques and be given the hands-on practice necessary to return to their communities and set up similar training geared to local crossing guards. From understanding the behavior of children to knowing what to wear and where to stand, participants will return home with the skills they need to teach others how to be safe, effective crossing guards.
Specifically, the course will cover the following classroom and practical components:
- State and federal law and regulations
- Roadway hazards
- Characteristics of children - behavior, physical capabilities
- Crossing guard qualifications, roles, and responsibilities
- Crossing guard equipment and attire
- Crossing guard positioning
- Crossing guard procedures
- Review and discussion
Following the classroom portion of the course, participants will have an opportunity to apply what they learned with role playing and practice scenarios.
- Crossing Guard Train the Trainer Module PDF420.47 K | 4/10/2015
- Crossing Guard Train the Trainer Module PPT847.5 K | 4/10/2015
- Adult Crossing Guard Procedures and Techniques PDF4.65 Meg | 4/10/2015
- Adult Crossing Guard Procedures and Techniques PPT
- Crossing Guard Train the Trainer Module PPT